Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Here I sit for another day, not leaving my house and having little motivation to do anything. I wasn't supposed to have depression. It wasn't fair. I was a happy, outgoing person and now my life is usually spent inside my house and a lot is spent in my darkened bedroom. Depression is bad enough but I also suffer from migraine headaches 24/7 and am extremely light sensitive so I have room darkening drapes in my bedroom, towels along the bottom of the doors to keep even that slight light out. I even have post-its covering the lights on the television because they are too bright. Sunshine and light are supposed to be helpful when you suffer from depression and yet I have to keep the light out.

I know the stigma surrounding depression is better than it was fifty years ago and yet I feel as though it is still the silent illness no one wants to talk about much less admit to having. I grew up in a home with a mother that was secluded much of the time because of depression but we never knew that. Neither of my parents talked about it. I was 33 years old when my parents told me that my mother had suffered from a life-long battle with depression and that it was hereditary. That was it, nothing more. I didn't get to ask questions. They did their duty because it might run in families.

When I was first diagnosed with depression I knew I had to approach my depression openly. I wanted my children to know what was wrong with me. I didn't want them to wonder why I spent so many days in darkness. I also knew I needed to talk about depression and bring it out in the open.

4 comments:

  1. As somebody who doesn't have depression I can never fully understand it, but I have seen your struggles. Know that even through your depression you were a great mother and your struggles have hopefully taught us all some sympathy and understanding. I love you mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for you. I kind of understand because of Alan's depression. I know how hard it is to keep going. And as the years go by, some of that dreaded heredity has begun to plague me as well. I know it doesn't come close to you or mom, but I understand wanting to stay home and closing the world out. I agree that it is still a hidden disease. Luckily, we had a very understanding doctor in Utah, that helped with our kids who have been plagued with various degrees of it. You are lucky to have your understanding husband. Just like mom was blessed with our dad! Our heavenly Father loves us and sends the perfect partners for us! I love you and your bravery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Dave. You are an awesome mom. You have hopefully given me compassion in dealing with people who are struggling with depression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've struggled with depression off and on over the years. When I was a young mother I was afraid that they would take my children away if anyone found out. In hind sight I wonder how anyone missed it, and wonder why no one said, or did anything?
    I'm glad that you're writing the blog. I've found that writing and having others to talk to really helped me heal. Closing myself off was the worst thing I did. We're very blessed to live in a time when we can share our struggles with each other, even if it's long distance. A burden shared is burden halved. We're here for you, you are not alone!
    "And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

    ReplyDelete