Monday, December 5, 2011

Judgment & Criticism

Depression is a very difficult disease to understand and I speak personally of my own error in judgment of my mother before I suffered depression for myself. No one except those that have become afflicted with this disease can understand the pain and anguish of being in the suffocating blackness of our personal pits. No one can comprehend how desperately we try to find our way out with no success. I felt like this was something I should be able to do on my own and yet regardless of the prayers I offered and how badly I wanted a different life, I couldn't change.

One of the most frustrating things about depression are the comments made by those around you and even those closest to you that suggest this is an easy fix! It is a very difficult disease to understand so if you do not have depression please do not offer advice! I wish others wouldn't trivialize what to me is such a devastating illness. We give ourselves enough grief and self doubt. We are in the bottom of the pit as it is and this only adds to our feelings of worthlessness.

I have been told that if I would pray more then this would all go away. Other advice I have been offered has been; that I needed to have a positive attitude, read my scriptures, get out in the sun more, get outside of your home, get a job, have parties... the list goes on and on.

Medication is such a miracle to those of us who have found medications that work. Without this we would be unable to get up everyday and function like a human being. I wish it wasn't so and cursing this disease made no difference.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry if I have made judgements in the past that have hurt you. I am trying hard to understand and comprehend what you have gone through. thank you for being you

    ReplyDelete