Friday, January 13, 2012

Lessons I Learned

It is a shame it took me getting depression to understand my mother. Realizing that I had judged my mother so harshly wasn't the end of it. I had spoken so loudly to so many people that I really felt that I needed to do two things. First, one of the hardest things I had to do was go to my mother and confess to her the awful things I had said and done as well as all the judgments I made against her. Tears flowed down my face as I asked for her forgiveness and with no hesitation she promptly forgave me. I had taken such a heavy heart to my mother's and yet she had no guile. This was the beginning of a new relationship as we were finally able to relate we had never experienced. I never believed my mother and I were similar in personality and yet when I heard her or my father talk of her life before depression, I believe we were more similar than I ever knew.

Secondly, I knew my penitence would not be complete until I made every effort to undo the damage I had done. Many of the women in my neighborhood had heard me on more than one occasion speak ill of my mother. I made a concerted effort to personally talk with as many as I could to let them know how wrong I had been. It is so vital to get ride of the stigma of depression and to stop judging those around when we have know idea what their hidden demons might be. It is also crucial for those of us that have depression to be open with one another and find strength from sharing together.

2 comments:

  1. Funny--I feel that I have been similar in the some of the stuff I have done. I told you that I was so sorry for not being more understanding of the struggle that you were having and I am trying to be better. I hope that you have noticed an improvement in my attitude. love you mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful that you were always open with us about your depression. It made things easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete