Friday, September 28, 2012

Dreaded Girls Camp

When I was sixteen, I was supposed to attend a girls camp with my church for a week in the summer. I didn't like camping but I had gone before so I knew what to expect. This time, however, I was filled with dread and I absolutely did not want to go! I didn't understand but it became a huge deal to me. When I told my father I didn't want to go, he told me that I didn't have a choice. It wasn't mandatory unless you had my father. I tried to persuade him but he was not having any of it. He was usually very reasonable but not this time. I went but it was a lonely and excruciating experience. I spent most the time in my tent and distanced myself from everyone.

In hindsight it is easy for me to know I had depression but I didn't recognize it. Again I wish my mother or father would have talked to me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment